Friday, December 12, 2008

An Original Thought

Caught myself thinking while making food and wondering if, in the age of the internet, it is possible to have an original thought.  With so much information flowing around us, how do we separate what is ours from what we have just noticed with a glance as we wade through the data-dense web?  Then, if I suspect that I have had an original thought, it will be frustrating to verify.  Either I will look on the internet, find nothing and curse the web and its limitations (and myself as a searcher), or I will find something and realize that I am just an information recycler, my brain spontaneously regurgitating something I have seen in the hazy scrolling from page to page. Ultimately, the consequence of my alleged original thought will be the frustrated, bleary eyed staring at a screen that both disables the original thought process and provides more fodder for the intellectual rumen.  How do we become thinkers in this age of information?

No comments: